Monday, May 15, 2006

Souq.com -- a flop?

When I met the guys responsible for Souq.com, I expressed my excitement. The idea is not new and many friends have toyed with it for years. The problem with it is that it had to be done with someone credible and/or with deep pockets. Maktoob.com is just that.

For a long time I waited to see their advertisement campaign, but nothing came out of it. Then I started seeing it around the free zones (DMC/DIC/Jebel Ali/etc.) That was nice, but hardly enough. Maybe they wanted to test the market. It didn't really pick up though. You need critical mass to make such a system work.

Finally, I noticed their outdoor ad on Sheikh Zayed Road. Not sure who their agency is, but I would fire them immediately.

You need to raise awareness and hold events. A lot more PR is needed here. Education of bidders is key as well. People are still not able to grasp the concept of bidding online. I'm not sure why, but that appears to be the case.

For example, someone would put up an item for a price that's too high. A price they think is what it should fetch. People don't bid up, they 'comment' to make a deal. So, the bidding is actually downward and not upward. Really odd.

The market needs a lot more education to make it work, because if you are advertising and people are logging in to find a non-functional system, they will not come back. You are, in fact, losing customers while spending money on advertising. Bad bad strategy.

Maktoob.com, I urge you, think again. Souq.com is worth it, don't waste it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear DMO,

Yes you're absolutely right--souq IS worth it. And with just a few months under our belt in Dubai, our user community, transaction numbers, and page views are going through the roof.

But of course we know education is critical--this is why we're also investing in top-level customer service resources. Plus those educational/PR events are coming sooner than you might think!

Thanks so much for your analysis--and keep up the critical eye.

May 15, 2006 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I have no idea where you got ur facts from. Very weak article indeed. I have used souq and have sold many items on it. Just put an item and it will fly in no time...

Souq and maktoob thank you for this great service

May 15, 2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger secretdubai said...

Prompted by your post, I've just been there. And it does look impressive.

In response to the Anon above: I think you're missing the point. It's not so much about whether the site is good or not, but about the promotion of the site, and the whole culture of autions/online auctions.

May 15, 2006 4:32 PM  
Blogger Dubai Media Observer said...

Thank you Mr. Ahmed for dropping by! I didn't imagine that the General Manager of Maktoob.com would actually post here.

I do look forward to seeing your events.

As for Anon, I think SD answered you with whatever I would have said. I am by no means faulting the system in terms of web functionality.

I particularly like the verification process being done via SMS.

May 15, 2006 6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home