Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Boy, what a vacation!

DMO has had one of the best vacations possible! Visited more countries than I can remember and it was just a blast. Then I came back to find the same old insanity here.

First off, who the hell is PR Congress and what's up with this PR Professional of the Year Award. I mean, really.. the market is 'abuzz'? I haven't been back for long, but I haven't heard a single person even talk about it. So, who of the 'PR Professionals' is the IIR trying to suck up to now?

And now there is also the Media and Marketing Show 2006. Look guys, it's nice to have exhibitions and all that fancy stuff, but last I checked the MM Show was a complete disaster. At least, as far as PR is concerned, it was a no-show.

Campaign.. so now you have a blog of your own, very nice. But, for the love of everything that is sacred, could you puhllease get rid of that annoying McNabb column. I mean, seriously, he doesn't know much and he is hardly entertaining. It just annoys the hell out of me (and pretty much anyone I have asked). Maybe I have a little anti-McNabb club? On the other hand, I am disappointed that you keep taking out the 'On the Campaign Couch with JB'. That'a a column that is entertaining.

Then you started shrinking the infamous 'The Spin'. What the hell? Addington, just 'cause Burrowes is gone doesn't mean you have to make radical changes. Go ahead, add a blog, blog tidbits.. all nice. But give me back my Spin space and again, GET RID OF THAT MCNABB!

In other news, anyone know what happened to Peter Barton? GMR seems to be in a constant slump lately.

Oh I've been away for too long!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pete barton is running the buzz magazine

August 23, 2006 3:50 PM  
Blogger secretdubai said...

I prefer Communicate's The Dish to be honest. In the days of Chris at least it was one of the most hilarious things going.

August 24, 2006 12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did McNabb do to you? Just curious.

August 24, 2006 10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bring back ab's desert diary!

August 24, 2006 5:42 PM  
Blogger Dubai Media Observer said...

anon (on McNabb) - consider someone in an air-tight room who is breathing heavily, depriving others of what little air is left. That's how I feel about McNabb. The heavy breather who is sucking in much more air than he ddeserves.

Oh and I know it's eating at Alex and his Campaign buddies. So tempted to comment but does not want to. Hey, use anonymous (like you already have). It will be our little secret.

As for Communicate's the dish.. can't even recall reading it. I guess I don't much of Communicate. I don't know if they have started deliving it to my office yet. I've subscribed several months back, still don't see a single issue. They REALLY need to get a distributor instead of going around on foot to distribute their magazine.

August 24, 2006 9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DMO..please do email me at elizabeth@communicate.vg and I will sort out your delivery issues once and for all. Liz

August 28, 2006 2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who are you DMO? You're hurting people's feelings.

August 29, 2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger Dubai Media Observer said...

Oh I don't mean to hurt people's feelings. I'm just speaking my mind under the cloak of anonymity. If I were to tell you who I am, I would probably have my boss eat me for breakfast before firing me infront of the entire office.

But you are right though. I've probably taken the McNabb thing a bit too far. I no longer will be commenting on him (unless he touches blogging again).

August 29, 2006 10:16 PM  
Blogger secretdubai said...

Get Liz to send you some back issues/photocopies of the Dish. There was one item (on some smug Safrican ponytail getting a promotion) that was so funny I nearly swallowed my own tongue.

It's actually just as funny in recent editions, it reminds me of Private Eye crossed with Viz, for media people.

August 30, 2006 2:21 AM  
Blogger secretdubai said...

Oh yes - McNabb is such a nice guy - but god knows how anyone writes a weekly column on the Middle East PR industry without going comatose, I would be slumping with an annual one. That he isn't just typing QWERTYQWERTYQWERTY lorem ipsum dolo sit amet by now is frankly miraculous. And certainly deserving of the Nobel prizes that MARG was awarded.

August 30, 2006 2:25 AM  
Blogger Dubai Media Observer said...

Well, I just grabbed a copy of Communicate from C4. I have to say, quite impressive and edgy. How come this is a monthly? It feels like a weekly. Could this explain why Campaign is killing Communicate?

September 01, 2006 4:13 PM  
Blogger secretdubai said...

I don't think either of them is killing the other in terms of readership at the moment - rather like What's On and Time Out, people either have their preferred publication, or they buy both. Certainly in our office it's never been either/or, people read (fairly avidly) whichever media mag turns up, as and when.

What's let Communicate down, if anything, is being part of a much smaller stable with truly crappy distribution. The only place I know I am guaranteed to find is is the Prof Woody kiosks around DMC. Then sometimes it will turn up totally randomly: in BooksPlus in Ibn Battuta, or in Geant, or in a petrol station - then other months I won't find it there at all.

There's possibly a third party business opportunity here: implementing a comprehensive, consistent and reliable distribution for smaller publishing houses.

September 02, 2006 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unrelated, but has anyone seen the Communicate article where they tricked papers by sending out a fake press release? Fab idea...

September 07, 2006 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home