Sunday, May 21, 2006

ART -- the FIFA 2006 rip-off

DMO doesn't care for sports, but loves the World Cup. As the countdown begins, I called up eVision to subscribe to ART's FIFA channel. I read an interview with one of the ART guys defending the subscription rates. I remember making a comment about it to someone. I really did not expect the price I was quoted though - a whopping Dhs. 1,764. You have gotta be kidding me!

ART's explanation? The World Cup comes once every 4 years and you must respect the world cup! While I understand that the World Cup is an important event, I do not respond very well to demands of respect. I have a few gestures I would like to make to ART, which would end with me saying, "Respect this!"

I am very confused with this price though. Does ART have a deal with pubs, sport bars, cafe's, etc.? It really doesn't make much sense to think that the average viewer is going to be willing to fork out that much money to watch a one month event? Especially that just about everyone in this region will be glued to the TV watching every game.. and when not watching, they will be discussing the results of the game they've last seen. It's the WORLD CUP!

2 Comments:

Blogger moryarti said...

same story with ART every 4 for years :)

May 24, 2006 8:47 AM  
Blogger Dubai Media Observer said...

Is it? I wasn't anywhere near the Middle East 4 years ago. I thought it was the first time a channel had exclusive rights to it in the region.

May 24, 2006 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home